Saturday, September 20, 2008

To Pee or not to Pee: Always the Question





So not that chemotherapy on its own is bad enough, but one of the listed side effects is actually anorexia. Figuring that Olive is half Pixton, I didn't plan on this ever being one of her issues. I was wrong. Olive tends to take after the Ashcraft side of her genes and is on the slim side. Slim is an understatement actually. She is almost 18 months old and is still wearing some of her 3-6 month clothing. Needless to say, she doesn't have any extra weight to lose. Well, the little turkey went right on ahead and lost most of her desire to eat and and drink. When we took her to the hospital on Wednesday for fluids she had already lost a little over a pound. She hadn't peed in quite awhile and number two was out of the question. To fix the problem they put her on a laxative and had me meet with a nutritionist. It was one of the strangest experiences of my life. She taught me how to fatten up foods. I now go grocery shopping for foods with the most fat and calories. My daughter is now drinking milk spiked with heavy cream and carnation instant breakfast, all of her food is to be cooked with butter, and they told me to add a tablespoon of oil to anything I could, including her juice. This went against my entire moral being. I didn't even know that they made yogurt that wasn't "light". Needless to say, I am no longer eating the kids' leftovers. In the meantime they have me monitoring Olive's input and output. So the question every day comes down to... Did Olive pee today? Lucky for us the answer today is yes.
On a brighter note my mom and I went through an old box of my clothes as a baby. This week has been a flashback to 1977 for both Olive and I. One of the pictures is actually a snapshot of yours truly. Enjoy the fashion show.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Oh how would it be? How would it be to have to put on weight?! Eat cream, ICE CREAM,....Now being too skinny? I DIDN'T think that was possibly in OUR family! ;) Glad to hear Oliving is peeing (and pooping). I love the flashback too! I put Noah in Brad's DATED clothes for pictures too (NEVER IN PUBLIC! ;))

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

"Oliving"?! Don't ask me how I typed that one....

Penny McK said...

Wow, how would that be - force feeding your child with all the things you would never feed yourself. (Or maybe we would!) I hope she will keep eating for you. . . and peeing!