Sunday, November 2, 2008

True Love




















I have been in love for a long time. In fact I fell in love long before I ever even knew Richard. It started in the seventh grade in a class called teen living. This class didn't have anything to do with being a teen or much to do about living. It taught us how to bake homemade brownies, balance a checkbook and the fine art of sewing a pillow. My pillow was a whale with three little fish. I loved that pillow.

I reconnected with my love in college. I decided to take clothing construction class on a whim. It was there that I realized I loved fabrics, and creating things with a sewing machine. I took every sewing class available to non-home economic majors. 217 credits and five years after starting my first year of college, I graduated with a degree in Zoology. To this day, I feel as if I the skills I learned in my sewing classes are among some of my most valuable credits. Since that first whale pillow, fabric has been my obsession. I can't stop buying it, collecting it and sewing it. I love it.

In the past few years I have taken a liking to quilting. I made my first quilt without a clue as to what I was doing for Richard's and my bed when we were first married. Countless other quilt tops have followed. Quilting is in my blood. Both my grandmothers were incredible quilters. I have decided I wanted to attempt to earn a little extra income by starting a machine quilting business in my home. While we were in Utah for Olives' MRI, I purchased my first quilting machine. It is a HQ 16, and I am in heaven. I just finished my first quilt tonight. It is a small baby quilt made especially for little miss O. As for Richard, he knows that I love him, but I will always need to buy more fabric.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

So you graduated in Zoology... I have always wondered if you pursued your passion of Marine Biology. I've often wondered about that over the years. Looks like you are having a ton of fun with quilting. I could totally see myself getting into that, maybe after I graduate. Have fun and that's a very cute quilt for Olive. I love the animal fabric in there... it gives it a little extra flair without distracting. CUTE!

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penny McK said...

I didn't know that you were a fabricaholic too! Join the club! I have almost as much fabric as I have books. And when we last moved (in July) I was told by the man who hauled in most of the boxes - your cousin - that I needed to get rid of most of both (the fabric AND the books). Needless to say, they are still in boxes out in the garage, because I cannot bear to part with them. But I'm also afraid that he will conveniently put them in the back of his truck and haul them to the DI. Anyway, if you need some extra fabric - give me a holler. P.S. I miss Granny P, and I wish she could be here to give us both some quilting tips. :)

Carmen said...

Oh, you got it!!! I am so happy for you! No doubt there will much to do and many hearts and toes that will be warmed by your quilts. I may even have a project for you...let's talk about my first family tree quilt. I started it 16 1/2 years ago!

Brenda said...

Oh Cami... I would love to get together -or- stop by for a quick (or not so quick) hi the next time you are at your mom and dad's house. Let me know the next time you will be there. As I said, I pass by there everyday and I would love to see you.

Amy Hawken said...

I love that you are so passionate about quilting. What am I going to be passionate about??? Hey, have you seen my hamburger pillow?...